Moments from my heart journey. Spontaneous and unrefined revelation.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Changed in angry mob clothes

You may be familiar with the song "Watch the Lamb" by Ray Boltz. It was written to lean itself to video/dramatization. Its based on the perspective of a bystander with 2 sons coming to Jerusalem for Passover and getting trapped in the mob pushing to crucify Jesus... We did a silent skit going along with the song today at Vandelia's church service. I was part of the angry mob, along with some of the sweetest hearted old ladies. (I am brought to tears again remembering two of them in tears about playing such a role) It was quite a challenging experience for all of us to look angry and beligerent and hateful and physically assaultive to Jesus as he stumbled across the stage to Golgotha. We acted to look in disgust and shout in ridicule and spit and kick and hurl abuse... It was hard for all of us to get through it without sobbing at the outright frank injustice and paradox of it all. At the incredible power of grace and the horrible/wonderful idea that Jesus really did die for the angry mob. I didn't think about it until sitting through the rest of the worship service in my angry mob sheet/costume. We went up to the front to get communion, and the preacher said "don't everyone come up at once" And i thought in my heart, "Yes everyone, come to Jesus, run to him, recieve him, let him recieve you" and then later as i was about to go up, I thought, "wait, no, i can't go in these clothes, these are my angry mob clothes, i was just in the angry mob that kicked and spit on and hated him" But then God reminded me, "He came for the angry mob, he died for the angry mob. I love the angry mob." Whom else became believers and followers of Christ later in Acts when Peter preached, but those who had been there in Jerusalem that day, the angry mob. 'While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us'

I hope to God, that the feeling I had today, and that memory is only a foretaste of what I will see, what we will all see to come, Angry mobs being changed by Christ into worshipers and passionate lovers of God.

my new prayer is this: "I want to see angry mobs changed to worshipers and lovers of God"

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a great skit...can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Prayer.

    ReplyDelete