Moments from my heart journey. Spontaneous and unrefined revelation.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

flying by faith

I was listening to some tape from Bill Johnson with some friends yesterday, and learned something new about what it means to walk by faith. One of the new ideas I heard were: Jesus didn't preach in parables just to be illustrations, but to hide the mysteries of the kingdom of God from those who would not believe so that he could reveal them to those who search and believe.

God is still revealing his kingdom to those who are hungry for more. He delights in mystery because he delights in revealing his truth. He wants us to want him, and to want more of him. He wants me to trust him, even when I dont understand, He wants me to walk in obedience to what he has revealed and in that he will continue to reveal himself. But he wants me to trust him before I see the whole picture. And as I walk in obedience in faith, he reveals himself. Tonight I woke up with Hebrews 11:6 in my mind, "but without faith it is impossible to please God, for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him"

Example for me: I have to keep working at the hospital and if I do it in faith that God is working even though i don't get it, I'll enjoy it. (which I have been the last few days) Or if i continue to obey begrudgingly as if God better change something or show me something quick, then I'll hate it as I have.

I am practicing discipline now by starting to work out at a gym. Those of you who know me, know this is really quite a stretch. While you may find me playing tennis on any one of the top 20 best weather days of the year, you will probably never find me working out consistently, because i usually simply don't feel like it and thats good enough reason for me not to go. Anyway so this is a new test for myself. So yesterday I was walking on their walking track, its on the roof of the sixth floor, and I saw a little sparrow type bird. The others were flying/hopping around not sitting still at all, but this one caught my attention, and i made up my mind to keep watching it until it moved. What would make it move? I did not know, and I still don't know. But suddenly it plunged off the side as if it were sky diving, like a fat little rock it looked, wings tucked in, just dove, and plummeted down past my site.

It suddenly occured to me that birds are very brave!

But they are as I assume all of creation is except us, very good at being obedient, they have no problem at all being who God created them to be, and doing exactly what he has them to do, and being content under his authority. This little dive bombing bird is a very good example to me, and for the glory of God. Although I am not yet sure what that sort of trust and obedience will look like for my life. (because i did not feel led to jump off the roof of the 6th story.)

3 comments:

  1. Whew...Andrea pumping iron?!? You go girlfriend...my runnings getting pretty pathetic in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Andrea!! Definitely something I am struggling with and it was encouraging to read your words... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so how's your next post going...(ps I'm on the next phase of application)

    ReplyDelete